Monday, May 14, 2018

Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever

I am not much for the Hallmark Holidays and Mother’s Day ranks right up there,
but I do like the sentiments that can be inside Mother’s Day. I share a few below 

A favorite Jewish Proverb and one I whole heartedly believe in.
God could not be everywhere and therefore he created mothers.

One of my favorite poems about moms 

When I was little, Mom would read to me in bed.
I’d lie under the covers with my eyes closed.
And the sound of her voice would make me feel safe and sleepy at the same time.
Sometimes, even with the good stories, I’d fall asleep before the end.
Now I’m bigger and I can read by myself but still, every once in a while, when I’m feeling sad or something,
I’ll ask Mom and she’ll come in and sit on the edge of the bed
and touch my head
And read to me again

~ Anonymous 

A more lofty sentiment and one I also believe in comes from Washington Irving , the author of one of the gems of American Literature,  Rip Van Winkle.
"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts."

Any way you cut it…everyone needs and deserves a loving mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment