Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Why are you reading a book for children?


My work involves travel, usually on airplanes and most every time I get asked the same question; Why are you reading a book for children? After explaining that I work in the field of children’s literature I quickly add “But I read children’s books because they are really good, I like them!”

My fondness for children’s book comes from a love of a good story well told but when it comes to books for children, I also believe they serve an important purpose. They help children see and understand themselves and the world.  Meeting characters you identify and emphasize with gives one a sense of place in the world, of belonging. 

That is reason enough to be an advocate of reading to children, which is the first step in
helping a child become a lifelong reader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment