Monday, February 21, 2011

To scribble in margins of books or not?


Truth be told, I do scribble in the margins of the books I read. I also date where and when I first read a book. And when I revisit the book, I take pleasure in the memories those annotations bring forth. Having said that, I also have a philosophical problem with writing in books, so there is the dilemma I found myself thinking about when I read, Bibliophiles Fear a Dim Future For Scribbling in the Margins, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/books/21margin.html
But no matter where you fall in the quandary, I hope you agree with Studs Terkel who told friends that “reading a book should not be a passive exercise, but rather a raucous conversation.” I am quite sure Mr. Terkel would agree with Alice (from Wonderland) who said, “What’s the use of a book without pictures or conversations?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment